Coconut macaroons are a perfect treat for any time of year, but are especially wonderful as a Passover dessert. These macaroons are granted high Omega-3 content from ground golden flax seeds and contain cacao nibs for a bitter, chocolatey crunch that provides a lovely juxtaposition to the sweetness of the surrounding coconut cookie.
Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 12 macaroons
1 cup granulated sugar
2 teaspoons salt
3/4 cup cake flour
1/2 cup canned coconut milk
2 tablespoons maple syrup
Method of Preparation:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (177 degrees Celsius).
2. In a large bowl, combine shredded coconut, sugar, salt, cake flour, and cacao nibs.
3. In measuring cup, whisk together coconut milk, flax meal, almond extract, vanilla extract and maple syrup.
4. Pour coconut milk mixture into shredded coconut mixture and mix with hands or wooden spoon until all dry ingredients are saturated with liquid.
5. Roll each cookie into a rounded ball with two tablespoons of macaroon dough and place on a parchment lined baking sheet. Flatten each ball slightly, on top and place in oven for 25-27 minutes or until lightly browned on top.
6. Cool on wire rack for fifteen minutes before eating.