Bright lemon muffins with poppy seed bursts of crunch can make a dull morning sunny and sunny morning even more radiant. These are sure to be a hit at your next potluck brunch with friends.
Active time: 15 minutes
Inactive time: 20 minutes
2 cups+ 1 tablespoon cake flour
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1 1/2teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2 tablespoons grated lemon rind
3/4 cup skim milk or unsweetened almond milk
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/2 cup canola oil
3 tablespoons room temperature water
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 or 175 degrees Celsius).
2. In a small prep bowl or ramekin, mix flax seed meal with water and set aside.
3. Place remaining dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, poppy seeds, salt, and lemon rind) in a large bowl and mix until incorporated.
4. Combine all wet ingredients (milk, lemon juice, canola oil, vanilla extract and flax seed mixture) in a large liquid measuring cup, make a well in the center of the flour mixture, pour wet ingredients into the well and mix until a smooth batter forms. Scrape down sides of bowl and stir, once more.
5. Fill a 12 slot muffin pan with aluminum foil wrappers and fill each wrapper 2/3 of the way up with batter.
6. Bake muffins on center rack of preheated oven for 20-23 minutes or until toothpick tester comes out clean from a muffin in the center of the pan.
7. Allow to cool in pan for fifteen minutes before transferring muffins to a wire rack to cool for another fifteen minutes before consuming.