This delicious pizza is easier to make than you would think! Fresh mozzarella, garlic pieces and toasted onion top an easy-to-make crust for a yummy, casual dinner any night of the week.
Yield: 8-10 slices
Active Time: About 40 minutes
Inactive Time: 40 minutes
1 cup warm water (110 degrees Fahrenheit [45 degrees Celsius])
2 1/4 cups bread flour
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons granulated sugar
1 tablespoon olive oil
16 oz. fresh mozzarella
1/2 cup tomato sauce or crushed, canned San Marzano tomatoes, reduced to a thick consistency
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit (204 degrees Celsius).
2. Combine yeast and warm water in a cup and allow to stand until creamy for about 10 minutes.
3. Mix bread flour, salt, granulated sugar, remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and yeast/water mixture on low speed with a stand mixer and paddle attachment until mixture comes together. Switch to hook attachment and knead with hook on medium speed for about five to six minutes or until a firm, smooth dough forms.
4. Cover dough with plastic wrap and allow to rise for 30 minutes or until doubled in size.
5. While dough is rising, thinly slice mozzarella and pat dry between two paper towels. Store in refrigerator for 30 minutes to drain.
6. Combine garlic and onion pieces in a small bowl and cover with 1 tablespoon of olive oil.
7. On a well floured counter, roll dough out to fit a 13x18 inch baking sheet. (Or toss by hand if experienced).
8. Place rolled dough on parchment lined baking sheet and bake on bottom rack of oven for 5 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and lay mozzarella slices 1/4” apart on top of par-baked dough.
10. Scatter garlic and onion mixture over pizza.
11. Place sauce and basil leaves on top of mozzarella slices and dough.
12. Continue to bake pizza in oven for 15-17 minutes or until crust is golden brown.
13. Remove pizza from oven and allow to cool for seven minutes before serving.