This Middle Eastern inspired cake combines the rich buttery texture of a pound cake with the delicious flavors of rosewater, pistachios, nutmeg, cloves and ginger, to name a few. It pairs excellently with a delicate tea infused with honey and is a great introduction to the wonderful, floral taste of rosewater.
Time: 1 hour
3 tablespoons ground flax seed meal
4 ½ ounces warm water
3 tablespoons canned coconut milk, room temperature
1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
¼ teaspoon rosewater
1 ½ cups cake flour
⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
½ teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
½ teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon finely ground Celtic sea salt
¾ cup granulated sugar
13 tablespoons unsalted butter or vegan margarine, room temperature
1 cup unsalted, shelled pistachios
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit (180 or 175 degrees Celsius).
2. Lightly grease and flour three large brioche molds.
3. Combine flax seed meal with warm water coconut milk, vanilla extract, and rosewater in a small measuring cup and gently whisk until incorporated.
4. Sift all dry ingredients (cake flour, cloves, nutmeg, ginger, baking powder, salt and sugar) together over the large bowl of a stand mixer.
5. Gently whisk flax seed mixture, once more, and pour half in the center of the flour mixture with all fifteen tablespoons of butter.
6. Mix on low speed until ingredients come together and then beat on medium speed for one minute.
7. Scrape down sides of bowl, add half of the remaining flax seed mixture and beat on medium speed for 30 seconds.
8. Repeat previous step, scraping, adding remainder of flax seed mixture and beating on medium speed for 30 seconds.
9. Scrape down sides of bowl once more and gently fold pistachios into batter.
10. Divide mixture among brioche molds or pour into loaf pan.
11. Bake for 45-55 minutes, until cake is golden on top and a toothpick tester comes out clean.
12. Allow to cool in pans for 30 minutes and flip cakes onto a piece of parchment paper or a wire rack and allow to sit until completely cooled.